Friday, December 18, 2009

Leadership

Earlier in the semester my coach pulled me aside and said that he wanted me to attend this leadership workshop. Apparently each coach was supposed to choose a few players from each team who they felt had good leadership qualities. However, I was not supposed to talk about this amongst the team unless it was with those who were also attending the event. My teammates and I went to the Fogelman building where we were treated to a very fancy dinner and dessert before listening to the speaker talk. She started off by telling a story about Josh Pastner who is currently the head coach for our basketball team. When he was a freshman on his basketball team in Arizona, he decided that the system was not correct and it needed to be changed if they wanted to win a national title. The problem is that no one wanted to listen to a rookie who was still wet behind his ears. Pastner kept fighting this opposition and finally reached his peers and sure enough they won a national title that year. I thought the story was really good, and showed that it does not matter if you are a transfer or a new student you can find a way to reach out to your team. Now i think the speaker did a good job, and those who really paid attention will benefit from it. However, despite have great slides and a great story, there are just some individuals who will not go out of their way for others and its sad. I wanted to be different so I came back from this workshop wanting to incorporate new techniques of trying to bring my team closer and hold everyone more accountable including myself. I know I am not on the same level as Josh Pastner but anything is worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment